Saturday, August 13, 2011

Week 36

Hello all :)

Our baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. I'm not sure how much he weighs, but the average kiddo now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. He's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered his body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected his skin during his nine-month amniotic bath. He swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of his first bowel movement.

At the end of this week, Ryder will be considered full-term (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term). Hopefully he's in a head-down position. My nurse told me that if he's not, I can "look forward to" a C-Section. Everyone pray he turns! I've heard of something called an "external cephalic version," which is a fancy way of saying the doctor can try to coax the baby into a head-down position by manipulating him from the outside of the belly. I hope she's willing to try this! We may not even have to worry about it tho, fingers crossed!

Starting this weekend and next week, we have our Childbirth Prep, Infant Safety and Breastfeeding classes at the hospital. I'm looking forward to soaking up lots of good information :)

Here is what Ryder might look like this week:



And here I am:

No comments:

Post a Comment