Monday, March 8, 2010

Exciting News!

Russell and I found out last night at about 7:15 pm that we were expecting! We decided to take a pregnancy test, but really didn't think that it would be positive. When it was time to go in and check out the results, we were both suprised to see that plus sign. Just in case it was a fluke, I took another one of a different brand, and we played the waiting game again. After waiting a couple of minutes, we went back to check and there they were. Those two pink lines! Russell gave me a huge hug and we both just kind of stared at each other in disbelief and happiness.

I made an appointment today and we will be going to our first doctor visit on Thursday the 11th. The nurse gave me an estimated due date of about October 30, but that could change as I get some tests and ultrasounds done. We are both so excited, and I've been antsy all day long. I just want to tell all of our family and friends, but we are going to wait a couple of days.

Russell sent me a link to www.babycenter.com where I found out what all our little baby has accomplished so far in the development process. It's pretty crazy. So far, hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs, although they look more like paddles at this point. Technically, it is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of its tailbone. Also, the baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long. Eyelid folds partially covering its peepers are developing, which already have some color, as well as the tip of its nose and tiny veins beneath parchment-thin skin. Both hemispheres of its brain are growing, and its liver is churning out red blood cells until the bone marrow forms and takes over this role. The little guy/girl also has an appendix and a pancreas, which will eventually produce the hormone insulin to aid in digestion. A loop in its growing intestines is bulging into the umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from its tiny body.

It's kind of crazy to me to comprehend that there is a little bitty life growing inside of me, but I am so excited to learn more and more every week about what is growing next and what our little one is going to look like. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on our progress and post as many pictures as I can. Love y'all!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you both, Russell and Christina! You will be such wonderful parents. What a lucky little baby to have two loving families to be born into! I am so glad you are blogging the progress and love to hear all about my first grandchild's development! Isn't it a miracle! So fascinating. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to each new blog! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I almost cried! I love you sis and cannot believe you are going to have a baby! This is crazy! I love you and Russell and cannot wait to meet my niece or nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw yeah it's going to have lots of great aunties :)

    ReplyDelete